Friday, May 30, 2014

The Milky Way over Tombolo Island - Superior Hiking Trail

















I love the night sky and I am so thankful that we have nice dark skies here in northern Minnesota!  I can't imagine not being able to see the Milky Way like this when I look up at the sky at night.  We have some of the best night sky views in the country, as this photo proves.  This is looking south over Lake Superior along the lake walk section of the Superior Hiking Trail near County Road 14 just north of Grand Marais.  

The stillness of the big lake that night was astounding.  I could easily see a multitude of stars reflected in the water.  This is not a common sight on Lake Superior, as usually there is enough wind stirring the lake's surface that you don't get these nice star reflections.  Another oddity is that there was a beaver swimming around in the big lake.  I never saw him, but I could hear him slap his tail on the water every now and then.  There is some marshy land in this area so that must be where the beaver came from.  I think he was enjoying the supreme calm of Lake Superior that night as well :-)

No comments: