Monday, June 2, 2014

Forest View of the Milky Way

















I've decided to start off the month of June with another shot of the Milky Way Galaxy.  What can I say, I've been on a Milky Way "kick" lately!  As you probably know, the night sky is one of my favorite photographic subjects so naturally you should expect frequent shots of the night sky from me :-)  This one was captured in the thick forest of Hat Point in Grand Portage, MN.  For years this particular spot was so heavily forested you could barely see the night sky.  In the past few years, however, several of the trees here have been blown down by wind storms.  The blow-down has opened up a very nice view of the night sky!  I really liked the way the trees lined up for this shot.  I made this image before the leaves came out and arguably this shot would not work as well now that the leaves are out.  We have had a lot of clouds and rain over the past couple of days with at least two more days before the weather clears (according to the forecast, anyway).  I'm looking forward to some clear skies again so I can get out and capture more images like this one!

No comments: