Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spring Chipmunk

















I couldn't resist sharing this image of this cute little chipmunk that was scrounging around while I was photographing a drumming ruffed grouse.  It was actually an interesting interaction between the grouse and the chipmunk.  The grouse was sitting on his drumming log and every minute or so doing his drumming routine in an attempt to attract a mate.  In between drumming sequences I heard some leaves rustling and so did the grouse.  He became very alert on his log, scanning the surrounding forest for the source of the sound.  I was actually very intrigued as well, thinking that perhaps a female grouse was approaching.  We were both disappointed, I think, when this little chipmunk popped up over the side of another log.  The grouse saw the chipmunk and immediately turned away as if to say "I can't believe I was fooled by that!"  The chipmunk went about his business and so did the grouse, resuming his drumming after another minute or two.

No comments: