Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Drumming for a mate


























As promised in my last post, here is a photo from the cool wildlife encounter that I had yesterday at Cascade River State Park.  For the past several years there has been a Ruffed Grouse drumming on the same rock in the park campground.  After photographing the waterfalls I figured I'd head over and see if he was there again this year.  Sure enough, he was!  

As I slowly approached the rock I could see him standing atop it.  I got within about 12 feet then stopped and set up my tripod.  After just a minute or two he started drumming.  I watched him for about the next hour.  In my past experiences photographing drumming grouse they seem to have drummed 3 or 4 times, then leave their post for about 10 to 15 minutes before coming back to drum again.  This time, however, he drummed at least a dozen times in an hour without ever leaving the rock.  After that hour of watching him I figured I better leave him alone as a female was probably not likely to come around while I was standing there taking his picture :-)

No comments: