Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mesquite Flat Dunes - Death Valley













One of the locations in Death Valley that I was hoping to see and photograph was the Mesquite Flat Dunes.  I had seen enough photos of the dunes that I knew it was an area I wanted to see for myself.  We decided to try sunset at the dunes which probably wasn't the best idea because it was pretty windy and there were a ton of people there.  Sunrise was out, however, as we were planning on Zabriskie Point for that.  

As we were driving towards the dunes from the Furnace Creek Campground, there were beautiful yellow flowers all along both sides of the highway.  The spring bloom was just beginning.  Soon the dunes became visible down in the valley even though we were still several miles away.  Our first glimpse of the dunes was like something from a dream.  The wind and early evening light made the dunes look irresistible. We simply had to pull over so I could make this image.  This was taken from the side of the highway 3 or 4 miles away from the dunes using my Tamron 150-600 lens zoomed all the way out to 600mm.  

No comments: