Thursday, March 5, 2015

A New Day at Hollow Rock

















Here is a photo from yesterday morning's sunrise at Hollow Rock in Grand Portage, MN.  I haven't been to Hollow Rock for a sunrise in quite some time.  My plan yesterday was to get up early and drive closer to Grand Marais to photograph the sunrise over some ice piles.  The snooze button on my alarm put an end to that plan :-)  I hit the snooze button and thus when I woke up I didn't have time to drive to my pre-planned location.  Instead, I stopped by Hollow Rock which is much closer to home and boy, am I glad I did!  A week ago there was solid ice out as far as you could see.  Lots of windy days in the past week have sure taken care of that.  Now there is open water as far as you can see.  Luckily, these floating cakes of ice were being held against the shore by the rock and made for a very nice foreground.  I am actually thankful that I overslept a bit because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have made this photograph.  And, there are other photos I got later in the day that I probably wouldn't have made either because the conditions would have been completely different due to my timing.  As my mom has always likes to say: "Everything happens for a reason!"

No comments: