Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Early Spring Sunrise over Hat Point

















This morning's sunrise was a beauty.  The ice on the bay where we live has been breaking up over the past few days and last night I noticed how beautiful it was on the way home from work.  I thought it might make for a nice sunrise if conditions remained calm overnight.  Thankfully, the wind stayed away and this morning was just as beautiful as I had imagined.  There were some nice clouds over Hat Point that lit up with color as the sun rose behind the point.  Those colors also reflected in the open water in between the sheets of ice.  It was a glorious morning!  

The beauty that surrounded me helped take my mind off the fact that one of my tripod legs had broken off just moments before making this photo.  I was pushing the legs down into the snow like I always do when I heard a "snap".  Next thing I knew, I was holding two separate pieces of tripod in my hand :-(  Maybe that's nature's way of telling me it's time to upgrade my tripod.  It was a very good model that served me well for a number of years, but I've always wanted one a little taller, a little more stable and capable of going lower to the ground as well. So, guess what I'm doing now!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A sun pillar! Caused by ice crystals in the air.
Love the ice & clouds!
--The Old Crow