Monday, March 2, 2015

3 A.M. Surprise

















Last night was pretty sweet for northern lights!  It was the 3rd night in a row that promised some aurora activity, but the first night that we had good enough sky conditions to actually see the lights.  I headed out around midnight and met up with a friend to do some shooting.  At first the lights were there, but they were really faint.  After a while we noticed an increase in activity and we started to get some nice results in our images.  It wasn't until just before 3:00 AM, however, that the lights really picked up.  It was around 2:00 when my friend went home; we figured the activity was pretty much done at that point as we hadn't seen much happen in the previous 45 minutes.  I decided to stay a little while longer and I sure am glad that I did!  These were far from the strongest lights that I've seen, but they were very good.  And they most likely would have looked better if we hadn't had the light of a half-moon to contend with.  Even with the moonlight, the lights shone through and filled the sky with their beauty.  It sure was an awesome night! 

















No comments: