Friday, March 6, 2015

Beautiful Blue - Lake Superior Ice Field

















A mid-morning shot of a large field of jumbled ice on Lake Superior between Grand Marais and Grand Portage, MN.  This may well be the last good area of ice piles for this winter.  The winds that we've had the past week have taken care of most of the ice along the north shore.  The highs forecast for next week are supposed to be in the mid 40's, so we may not get much more ice production.  I'm always sad to see the ice go, as it is one of my most favorite subjects to photograph.  I do love spring, though, and the promise of summer that warmer days are sure to bring.  Variety is the spice of life and we certainly have our fair share of that living here in northern Minnesota!  

I just loved this large blue slab of ice in the foreground of the photo, even though it looks unnatural due to the lack of snow on it.  If you look closely you can see some footprints in the snow on the far side of the blue slab.  It looks like someone walked around it and brushed all the snow off so they could see the full glory of the blue color.  I guess I should be thankful for their meddling with the scene, as I certainly found this piece of ice worth photographing.  If it had still been covered in snow I might have walked right past it!

No comments: