Friday, March 6, 2015

Jigsaw Ice

















There have been so many fascinating and intriguing ice formations to photograph this year.  I guess I better get a move on with sharing my remaining ice photos, as once the warmer weather arrives next week (the highs are supposed to reach 40 degrees by Tuesday) I'm sure people aren't going to want to see them anymore!  One location that has been a gold mine of photographic opportunity is the lake walk section of the Superior Hiking Trail just north of Grand Marais.  I have been back here several times since first discovering the huge ice piles there.  While the ridges of ice piled perhaps as much as 20 feet high are the main attraction, there are many other wonders to be found there as well.  Such as this flat area of "Jigsaw Ice", so named because it reminded me of the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.  This photo was made as I was standing on the ice just  10 feet from shore.  While this ice did look plenty thick to safely walk on, there was open water just 100 feet to the left of this area and I could hear the ice creaking and groaning as the water shifted around underneath.  I didn't dare go farther than just a few feet from shore, but a few feet was all I needed to get the composition I wanted. 

No comments: