Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The end of a beautiful day

















This is how my day ended.  Some very intense sunset beauty on Lake Superior!  The lake is loaded with ice right now and I wanted to spend the whole day photographing it.   My day started at 4:20 this morning when my alarm went off.  I left the house at 5:00 so I could be at Tettegouche State Park before sunrise.  

The temperature was minus 17 degrees when I pulled out of the driveway.  The warmest temp I saw today was minus 3.  It was a pretty cold day!  I arrived at Tettegouche about 20 minutes before sunrise and spent the next 3 hours photographing the infinite wonders of the ice that is currently coating the shoreline of the park.  After that I went further down the shore, almost as far as Duluth and stopped to make some images whenever I saw a cool ice formation that I wanted to photograph.  I did the same on the return, stopping here and there whenever something caught my eye.  I was gone roughly 13 hours.  

Of that time, I spent about 5 hours driving and 8 hours walking around in the sub-zero temperatures making photographs.  It was a great day that ended as well as it started, with this beautiful sunset over the lake in Grand Marais.  I bumped into my friend Paul Sundberg, which was a nice bonus to the day.  We photographed the sunset together then headed our separate ways home.  It sure is nice to be back in the warm house after a long day spent in the cold :-)

No comments: