Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Snow Squall on Flour Lake

















Yesterday Jessica and I went for a 15 kilometer ski on the Central Gunflint Ski Trail System.  We started off from Bearskin Lodge and skied all the way around Flour Lake.  Bearskin and Golden Eagle Lodges maintain one heck of a nice trail system!  Today was my first time skiing the west side of Flour Lake on the Old Logging Camp Trail.  Man, what a fun trail!  Great rolling hills that traverse beautiful ridges make for a wonderful ski experience.  The conditions were less than perfect for a ski day, but we still had a blast.  

Last night we had some of the most intense winds I've ever experienced in my lifetime of living along the shores of Lake Superior, and those winds persisted into today along with dropping temperatures.  It was 6 degrees when we started skiing and so windy that snow was being picked up off the surface of the frozen lakes and whipped up into the air.  As we skied the shoreline of Flour Lake I wanted to make a photograph of the blowing snow (I always carry my little Sony RX100 III camera with me).  We found a nice opening in the trees and I skied out onto the lake to make this picture of a tree and its shadow with the blowing snow in the background.  We always have a lot of fun on our ski adventures, and today was no exception!

No comments: