Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sunset over the Frozen Explosion

















Here is another view of the "Frozen Explosion" ice formation that I posted about a few days ago.  This was taken at sunset and I loved how the ice reacted to the fading daylight.  We have seen a lot of ice form in the past two weeks and this is evident by the lines in the ice in the background.  Fresh ice tends to move a lot, which creates cracks due to the pressure of the ice moving.  When cracks develop usually a little bit of water will seep up as the ice moves around.  That is why the lines look so thick.  Right now that background ice is frozen solid and you don't see those lines anymore.  I was glad that I photographed the "Frozen Explosion" as much as I did when I first found it, as now it is covered in snow and just doesn't look as fascinating as it does here.  Two days ago we got about 8" of new snow, and today it is snowing hard again all day, with another 3 to 5 inches predicted by tonight.  I sure am loving this winter.  It is a MUCH better winter than last year, which in comparison had very little snow and ice.  This is a REAL Minnesota winter, which means plenty of "cool" photographic opportunities!

No comments: