Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Road to the Aurora

















Okay, just one more image of the aurora that I'd like to share with you from the early morning hours of February 19th.  This one was captured as I was on my way home.  I was driving slowly down Old Highway 61 in Grand Portage, every now and then switching my headlights off for a few seconds to peek at the sky and see if it was worth stopping for any more shots. At one point I had to stop because the lights looked like they were picking up again.  As I was setting up my tripod I could see this ribbon of color waving its way across the sky above the road.  It looked to my eye like there might be a little red in it, but I didn't realize just how much until the first exposure recorded.  The camera picks up a lot more color at night than what our eyes can see, as this image proves.  It was a great ending to a fantastic night of aurora photography!

No comments: