Monday, February 24, 2014

Horseshoe Aurora

















I was getting pretty tired around 2:00 AM on the morning of February 19, 2014 and the northern lights that I had been photographing for the past two hours were starting to fade.  I figured it was a good time to pack up and head home.  I had already made a lot of really nice images in the past two hours.  I was driving back out along the logging road when I decided to stop and check once again the first place that I had photographed that night.  Something compelled me to stop. I guess I just wanted to see if the lights looked any better than they did earlier.  Or, maybe the sky was telling me that it wasn't yet done with me for the night.  

At any rate, I stopped, got out of the truck and walked back down the road a few yards and looked up at the first group of trees that I had photographed that night.  The lights were barely there, but as I stood and watched they once again began to increase in their intensity.  Moments later I was looking at an incredible display that overshadowed everything I had seen in the two previous hours.  I quickly grabbed my gear and set up for some more shooting.  Once I had everything ready I started taking picture after picture as this fascinating horseshoe-shaped aurora marched across the sky above me.  As soon as the shape crossed my camera's field of view, the lights diminished somewhat and the horseshoe shape was gone.  The lights continued dancing but at a less intense rate.  I don't know what compelled me to stop, but I sure am glad that I did because if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to share this image with you today.

No comments: