Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Santa Elena Canyon Moonlight

















As I drove through Big Bend National Park on the afternoon of my arrival, I knew right away it was going to be one of my favorite parks.  12 hours later that feeling was solidified as I stood gazing up at the massive walls of Santa Elena Canyon in the moonlight. Seeing such places in daylight is one thing but experiencing them under the magical light of the night sky takes the appreciation to a whole other level.  

The feeling of solitude is amplified at night, as pretty much all of the other park visitors are asleep in the campgrounds. It is so peaceful and quiet at night.  More often than not the wind dies down and you can hear things that you would never hear in the same way during the daylight hours.  The muffled sounds of a rabbit rustling in the brush, the ominous echo of an owl hooting across the valley, or the soothing sound of crickets. Night time is my favorite time to sit and enjoy the view, then close my eyes and just listen to the world around me. 




















No comments: