Saturday, April 18, 2020

Big Bend and the River Road - Rio Grande


















Big Bend is such a beautiful place.  The variety in the landscape is stunning. From deep river gorges to high mountaintops, this park seemingly has it all. The part of the park that I enjoyed the most during my visit was along the River Road, a remote backcountry road that requires a high clearance four wheel drive vehicle.  There are several very cool backcountry vehicle campsites that I would love to return and camp at.  



















The photos shown here are from the Buenos Aires and Black Dike campsites. The riparian zone here is stunningly beautiful. Even in early March it was amazingly green, and I could heard birds calling everywhere. The temperature was in the mid 80's which felt really nice coming from cold snowy weather just a couple of days before. I can't wait to go back someday and hopefully take a trip down the river. 


















The river road is definitely an adventurous drive. In some places the road is somewhat smooth but for the most part its pretty rugged and very rocky.  Due to the rain that fell daily during my visit, there were several spots along the road that were very muddy as well. But what a great way to experience the park!  Big Bend was experiencing record visitation while I was there, but the majority of those visitors are clustered in the more popular parts of the park.  I spent 3 days on the backcountry roads and saw less than 10 other vehicles. 




































































No comments: