Saturday, April 25, 2020

Consciousness is Timeless


















There's something about storms that makes me feel so... alive. I think it's the rapidly changing conditions that are often occurring during a storm.  Especially storms in the southwest.  The storms I witnessed on my trip were intense and strong but relatively short-lived which for some reason got me thinking about lifespans and age.  It probably had something to do with the audio book I was listening to earlier that day as I drove along the southern edge of Big Bend National Park toward my campsite for the night. That audio book was "Awakening is Real" by Jack Kornfield. 

As living creatures we often contemplate age and the sense of getting older or getting old. I know I get asked every now and then... "do you feel like you're getting old?"  And my answer has always been "No, not really." I think that's because when I think about age, I think about how I feel and when I think about how I feel its more about my mental feeling than my physical feeling. And in that sense, I certainly don't "feel" like I'm soon going to be crossing the threshold of being closer to 50 than to 40.  

In "Awakening is Real", Jack stated "When you look in the mirror, you notice that you've aged, but the weird thing is that you don't feel older. And that's because it's only your body that's aged. And the body does.  It's born and it ages in time. But consciousness is timeless."

I couldn't agree more.  


















No comments: