Sunday, May 29, 2016

Le Grand du Nord

















Above: Nearing the top of the climb on Lindskog Road, just before turning east on County Road 60

Yesterday Jessica and I rode in "Le Grand du Nord", a bike event/race starting and ending in Grand Marais, MN.  There was a 50 mile ride and a 100 mile ride; we participated in the 50.  This was my first time ever participating in something like this and I had a blast!  After the rain the night before the course was pretty wet but still lots of fun.  The temperature was actually kind of perfect.  All of the riders were super friendly.  It was a lot of fun chatting with fellow riders as we rode along and interesting to see the huge variety of bikes and setups that people were using.  The course was roughly 90% on gravel roads, with just a couple of short pavement sections and only one short section that was really rough.  Very well designed and challenging route with 3,000 feet of climbing.  Thanks to all those involved in planning and implementing this event... we sure had a great time!  And, of course, you know me... I just had to bring a camera along!  A few people poked fun at me for taking pictures during a bike race, but whatever... I had loads of fun and now I have some cool pictures to go with my memories of the day!


















Above: Beautiful spring green along County Road 60!



















Above: The Cook County fat bike crew... John Twiest, Adam Harju and Jay Arrowsmith DeCoux on Trout Lake Road


















Above: Beautiful foggy scenery along Pine Mountain Road


















Above: The worst section of the route... along the Meridian Road


















Above: After the Meridian Road, it was smooth sailing along County Roads 6 and 7 all the way to the finish!

No comments: