Thursday, September 10, 2015

Stellar Sky in the Land of 10,000 Lakes

















A star-filled night complemented by a hint of Aurora Borealis (northern lights) in the land of 10,000 lakes.  Taken a few nights ago in Grand Portage State Forest, northeast Minnesota.  I've always wanted to capture an image where there seemed to be just as many stars reflected in the water as there were in the sky, but until now have never had a calm enough night when I've been out.  I've captured star reflections in lakes before, but never so many as on this night.  The air was completely still and the surface of the lake shimmered with reflected starlight.  It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.  Thankfully it's early September and the nights are cooler with virtually no bugs.  If this had been earlier in the summer I would have been eaten alive by mosquitoes on a night such as this! 

No comments: