Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fire Tower Light Show


















Just when you think a promising aurora forecast isn't going to pan out, it goes and surprises you!  That's exactly what happened last night.  According to space weather forecasters, as sunset approached last night we were entering into a watch period for aurora storms.  I was keeping an eye on the websites that track and predict aurora activity and by 11:30 PM there really wasn't any sign of anything good happening, so I decided to go to bed.  Luckily, I woke up a little after 3 PM to go to the bathroom and decided to check the websites again.  As luck would have it, the aurora activity was picking up so I decided to head out and try to make some photographs.  As I was driving up the hill away from Lake Superior I could see a large ribbon of lights developing in the northern sky.  The ribbon was bright but low in the sky so I decided to head to the top of a hill where there is an old fire tower.  I figured the elevated vantage point would give me a good view of the lights.  Well, it certainly worked!  By the time I got to the location the lights had expanded to fill almost half of the sky.  I spent the next two hours on top of the hill photographing a very good display of the northern lights!

No comments: