Saturday, April 4, 2015

Seal haul-out near Heceta Head


















One of the definite highlights for any trip to the Oregon coast is the opportunity to view the seals along some of the beaches.  I have found that two of the best places to view them are Simpson Reef/Shell Island in Cape Arago State Park and the beach shown in these photos, which is just south of Heceta Head Lighthouse.  These photos were taken from the highway pullout that gives you the famous view of the Heceta Head Lighthouse.  

While looking at the lighthouse I could hear seals barking, but at first could not see them.  I scanned the beach that runs down the shore in the direction of the lighthouse but could not see any seals along the sandy part of the beach where I have seen them before.  After walking down the road just a short distance I found a break in the trees and looked almost straight down to a very rocky part of the shoreline, and it was PACKED with seals!  They were literally all jammed into this little rocky cove at the end of the sandy beach. Some of the seals were still rolling around in the surf.  In fact, the longer I watched them it seemed as though they were enjoying playing around in the waves.  I sure had a lot of fun photographing these playful animals!




















No comments: