Monday, April 27, 2015

Earth and Sky - The Meeting of the Ancients

















 The Milky Way rises over the Spirit Tree in Grand Portage, MN.  The Spirit Tree, for those who are unaware, is an old-growth cedar tree on the Lake Superior shoreline of the Grand Portage Reservation in northeast Minnesota.  The tree is a significant place for the Ojibwe people and tribe members will frequently visit the tree to leave offerings of tobacco.  I grew up just a mile or so from the tree and my first memories of it were visiting it with my grade school class and making sketches of the tree for art class.  I never expected that I would still be visiting the tree to this day (let alone living in the same house that I grew up in!), only now with a camera in hand and capturing images such as this.  It is definitely a comfort knowing that this magnificent tree continues to watch over the lake just over the hill from where I live. 

No comments: