Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hollow Rock Heaven

















The Milky Way over Hollow Rock in Grand Portage, Minnesota.  I finally have a lens and a camera that is allowing me to capture the views of the night sky that I've always dreamed about.  Ever since I've been practicing photography (a little over 20 years now), I've been into low-light photography and photographs of the night sky in particular.  While I have always loved making images after dark, I've never been able to fully realize my vision due to limitations in my camera gear.  Don't get me wrong, I still love all those night images I've made over the years.  There will always be a place in my heart and my memory of all those experiences of making those images.  

But, they were far from the quality of the images that I am now creating.  This photograph is a perfect case in point.  It looks like something from a dream.  The Milky Way is so vivid and clear, and seems to jump off the screen at you.  And, the noise performance is outstanding.  The photo has noise, to be sure (any photo at ISO 6400 is going to have noise) but the quality of the noise is unbelievable.  It actually reminds me of a really fine film grain.  I can't wait to make a big print out of this photograph.  I think it's going to be quite stunning!  I have never been more excited than I am now about making more images of the night sky :-)  

FYI - The light on the rock is from an interior table lamp that was left on in one of the nearby cabins of Hollow Rock Resort.  It cast just enough light on the rock to give a nice soft level of illumination.  The white areas that you see on the left side of the rock are the last remnants of ice from the winter season.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering about the equipment used to make this photograph, the camera used was a full-frame Nikon D750 with a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens.

1 comment:

Troy said...

Beautiful Photograph. Amazing what a full frame camera can do. I enjoy photographing the night sky also but am limited by equipment. Congrats on being able to make the pictures you've been wanting to take with a full frame.