Saturday, June 21, 2014

Heron with fish at Crex Meadows

















Here is another fun bird shot that I got from my afternoon at Crex Meadows Wildlife Area in Grantsburg, Wisconsin.  I was actually heading out of the refuge starting on my way home when I rounded a corner and saw this heron standing completely still in the water.  He looked poised and ready to stab a fish so I quickly pulled over and got the camera ready.  He was standing completely motionless, leaning forward and starting down into the water.  He held this position for about a minute, then with lightning-fast reflexes he jabbed his beak into the water and came up with a fish.  He quickly walked over to a nearby piece of dry land and put the fish down on the ground.  He then proceeded to jab it 3 or 4 times with his beak, presumably to kill it.  Once the fish was no longer moving, he picked it up and swallowed it.  Sure was interesting to watch :-)

No comments: