Sunday, June 8, 2014

June Aurora over Devilfish Lake

















The northern lights were out last night for the first time in a while.  It sure was good to see them again as it seems like its been forever since the last good show.  Last night's lights weren't the best I've seen but they were pretty darn good!  This photo was made at 1:30 AM on Devilfish Lake in Cook County, MN.  Devilfish Lake is one of the best spots I've found for photographing the aurora over calm water. It's also one of the best spots for mosquitoes.  I was wearing my rain jacket with the hood cinched tight over my head in an attempt to keep the mosquitoes from harassing me too badly.  I was also wearing gloves, since the temperature was 36 degrees.  Still, every now and then a mosquito would find its way inside my hood and buzz louder than you ever thought possible from such a small insect.  The bugs were a pain in the butt last night, but the amazingly beautiful skies were worth the frustration of the insects.  

No comments: