Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hollow Rock Dreamscape

















The final location for the night ended up being Hollow Rock Resort along the shores of Lake Superior.  As I drove back down the Arrowhead Trail the sky was completely socked in with clouds and a thick fog covered the ground.  I thought for sure these conditions would persist all the way home.  As luck would have it, however, when I got back to Highway 61 along the Lake Superior shore the fog had lifted and there were some openings in the clouds.  By the time I was driving by Hollow Rock the clouds were receding quickly and the sky was full of dancing northern lights.  Of course I had to stop at Hollow Rock once I saw these conditions!  This is the first time I have been able to photograph the aurora directly over the rock.  Since the view here is more east/southeast than north you don't get very many opportunities to see the aurora from this angle.  On this night, however, the sky was full of dancing lights and plenty of them were directly above Hollow Rock.  This photo was made about 3:30 in the morning and was the last shot I made before heading home and crawling into bed.  It sure ended up being a fantastic night!

No comments: