Saturday, June 1, 2013

Glowing Clouds over McFarland Lake

















After making the "Celestial Fantasy" photo I continued driving up the Arrowhead Trail until I arrived at the swimming beach on McFarland Lake, which is one of the best places in Cook County (in my opinion) to watch the northern lights.  This beach has a great view to the north and the lake is often very calm at night, which means you can get great reflections of the lights in the water.  Unfortunately when I arrived at the lake the sky was still completely covered with clouds.  I hung around here for almost two hours hoping the sky would clear, but it never did.  Several times, however, the cloud cover got thin enough that the glow from the lights could be seen even through the clouds.  This particular photo is from one of those times when the clouds were thinner.  It is my favorite photo made during my time at the lake waiting for the sky to clear.  

No comments: