Sunday, December 2, 2018

Sahara in the Southwest


















When I view these images the first thing that pops into my mind is the Sahara desert.  The Algodones dune field is so massive it's easy to imagine yourself in the Sahara and not in southern California.  In my previous post I mentioned how Highway 78 is the main dividing line between the wilderness area of the dunes and the area where off-road riders are allowed.  In this first photo you can see a commercial truck passing through the dunes on Highway 78.  The dune field shown behind the truck is the southern edge of the wilderness area.  

The following photos show some riders enjoying the off-road area of the dunes south of the highway.  Admittedly, it was very cool to finally see these dunes in person and I would have loved the opportunity to ride on the dunes myself.  I grew up dreaming of riding an ATV across the dunes as they were often featured in off-road magazines that I was really into at the time.  The next time I visit this area I will have to rent an ATV and fulfill that dream :-)  



















































No comments: