Thursday, December 13, 2018

Climbing the Kelso Dunes


















As I mentioned in my last post, I believe it was helpful to go to the top of the Kelso dunes in my mind before actually physically going there.  I think if I hadn't done that, I probably would have given up before reaching the top.  The main reason I say this is because of the wind, which was absolutely BRUTAL.  It's hard to believe, because you can't really see that in these images.  The photos look peaceful but when I was up on the crest of the dunes, I literally had to lean hard into the wind to keep from blowing over.  

Since I had already been to the top in my mind I knew that I didn't want to miss those views in person.  So, I persisted.  As I pushed on every nook and cranny of my clothing and camera gear that could hold sand did just that.  By the time I was back down off the dunes I had sand everywhere.  It was in my pants pockets, jacket pockets, in my hair, in my ears.  My shoes were packed tight with sand.  I lost count of how many times I had to lean into the wind and close my eyes while I waited for a long sustained gust to pass.  Luckily my camera gear did not sustain any damage.  After a thorough cleaning all was well.  The views and the resulting images were worth it.  I had an awesome experience, certainly one that I will never forget!


































































Watch this video to see just how windy it was!





No comments: