Thursday, December 20, 2018

Mojave Nights


















Continuing my after-dark adventures in the southern California desert, I had an awesome time photographing the Milky Way in Mojave National Preserve.  I found this nice composition deep along the Cedar Canyon Road within the Preserve.  Since this is a high-ISO long exposure (25 seconds at ISO 3200), I could not leave my Jeep lights on during the exposure or they would have been completely overexposed.  So, what I did was start the Jeep at the tail end of the exposure using the remote start system.  When the Jeep starts up the tail lights give two rapid blinks.  It was the light from those two rapid blinks that lit up the Jeep and the ground around it.  I really like how it added to the effect of this photo!

In the photo below, I was wandering around on foot looking for interesting Joshua Trees to photograph off the edge of Cedar Canyon Road near where the above photo was taken.  It didn't take long for me to find this nicely shaped tree and the glow of the Las Vegas city lights in the background.  Las Vegas is about 60 miles away but as you know is absolutely LOADED with all kinds of lights so that glow carries quite a distance in the desert night.  


No comments: