Friday, October 28, 2016

A sublime morning at Crex Meadows


















One of my favorite places to visit in the fall is Crex Meadows Wildlife Area in Grantsburg, Wisconsin.  The main reason for this is because there are a lot of Sandhill Cranes that stop here in the fall and I love cranes!  There are lots of other birds as well, but the cranes tend to steal the show.  Since Crex is a bit of a drive from Grand Portage, I drove to Duluth the night before and crashed at my brother's place.  I woke the next morning at 4:30 to make the almost 2 hour drive from Duluth to Crex.  I arrived with plenty of time to scope out a nice spot for sunrise.  

I found this nice pond along Main Dike Road that was just the right angle for sunrise.  And, there were cranes in the pond :-)  Once I found this spot I sat and waited for the sun to rise.  About 20 minutes later the sky began to glow with beautiful colors.  As the light got brighter and warmer I could start to see the cranes moving around in the water.  They were a beautiful sight to see with the water reflecting the colors of the sunrise!





































No comments: