Saturday, October 1, 2016

Magnetic Rock


















Last week I went up near the end of the Gunflint Trail (which is actually a paved road, for those that don't know) and hiked the Magnetic Rock Trail.  Believe it or not, this was another "first" for me.  Despite having lived in Cook County my entire life, I had never been to Magnetic Rock before last week.  Seeing it is quite a trip.  There is nothing else like it in the area.  You are walking along the trail and then BOOM you look ahead and there is this giant rock just jutting up into the sky.  Rumor has it that it does indeed have a high amount of magnetism and if you bring a compass along it will act all crazy and won't know which way to point.  I've also heard that if you bring a magnet along and put it up against the rock it will stick to it.  I'll have to try that next time I hike out there :-)

No comments: