Monday, October 5, 2015

First Light at Nawadaha Falls


















The third waterfall we visited on our trip to the U.P. was Nawadaha Falls in the Porcupine Mountains.  After a chilly night of sleep in the tent we had some breakfast then went for a morning hike along the Presque Isle River.  Even though we had a leisurely start to our morning, the depth of the gorge and the fact that we were on the west side of the Porcupine Mountains meant that the river still did not have any direct light on it.  Which I was grateful for, as I prefer photographing waterfalls in the shade or on cloudy days.  Still, there was quite a bit of contrast in this scene between the very dark foreground and the sunlit background, so I had to use both my 2-stop reverse grad ND filter and my normal 2-stop grad to help balance the exposure.  

No comments: