Saturday, August 29, 2015

August Thunderstorm, Grand Marais Harbor


















Last night before going to bed we were noticing some lightning flashes outside, so I looked at the weather radar and it showed a huge line of thunderstorms heading from west to east across northern Minnesota.  I decided to head out and try to capture some photos of the lightning.  I've been wanting to capture a lightning photograph over the Grand Marais harbor for quite some time, so that's where I decided to go.  The radar showed the most intense parts of the storms were still a bit west of us, so I figured I had enough time to make the 40 minute drive before the storms passed by.  

Well, the weather hit a little earlier than I expected and it ended up taking an extra 10 minutes to get to Grand Marais.  The lightning was spectacular all the way along the drive and I was worried I was going to miss it over the harbor.  Several times I had to slow to 35 to 40 miles per hour as the rain was coming down so hard I could barely see the lines on the highway.  Thankfully, when I arrived in Grand Marais the storms were still going full blast.  I was able to capture a few good shots of the lightning strikes before the weather moved too far out over the lake.  The one you see here is my favorite shot of the night.  

No comments: