Monday, August 25, 2014

Late Summer Storm

















Last night we had one heck of a line of thunderstorms come through Grand Portage.  I was watching the radar as the storms approached and it sure looked like we were in for something special.  The weather hit Grand Portage Bay about 12:30 AM.  It started with a soft breeze and light rain which quickly turned to gusty winds and a downpour.  At first I tried photographing the lightning over the lake from underneath the overhang in front of our house.  That didn't work as the rain was coming sideways and I got pretty wet after just a minute or two.  So, I went back in the house and watched the light show from the living room window.  

After about 10 minutes the rain had pretty much stopped but the lightning was still going off like crazy.  So, I went back outside and quickly noticed that the lightning was actually better behind the house.  I walked down to the road and photographed the flashes of light over the house.  Every now and then an extra bright flash accompanied by a strong bolt would light up the sky.  The photo you see here was the best out of the series of roughly 30 images that I shot.  I was shooting in Bulb mode and this ended up being a 6 second exposure at f/8 and ISO 800.  After a few minutes of shooting from the road, the rain started up again and continued for about the next hour.  When it let up again I checked our rain gauge and it showed almost an inch of new rainfall!

No comments: