Monday, August 18, 2014

Heron in reflected moonlight on Lake Superior

















Remember my post from earlier today of the heron in the moonlight on Grand Portage Bay?  Well, here is another shot of the same heron, this time taken with my Tamron 150-600mm lens at 600mm.  I couldn't believe it the other night when I visited the shoreline at Grand Portage National Monument and saw this beautiful bird standing on the rock surrounded by some of the most sublime moonlight reflections I've ever seen.  

As I mentioned before, I photographed the heron for about an hour and in that time he barely moved.  He did turn around on the rock once (as you can tell from my earlier picture, as he was facing the other direction in that shot) but other than that he didn't seem to be moving at all.  Of the series of images that I made, the exposure times ranged from 10 seconds on the picture you see here to 30 seconds on other pictures.  In almost every one of them the heron is nice and sharp.  There is only a hint of movement in a couple of the shots.  Maybe he was sleeping, I don't know.  All I know is that after watching him for about an hour he did finally fly away.  Seeing this beautiful bird in an equally beautiful setting made for one of the coolest night-time experiences I've ever had.  

No comments: