Monday, October 14, 2013

Sunset on the Presque Isle Shoreline

















I know I've probably already said this, but the Porcupine Mountains are an amazing place and I absolutely cannot wait to get back there and do some more exploring!  This photo was taken near the mouth of the Presque Isle River along the Lake Superior shoreline.  I was hoping to see the famous "potholes" of the river, but the water was too high due to recent rainfall and the potholes were not visible.  So, I continued on down the path to the Lake Superior shore where I found this huge area full of ferns just before reaching the sandy beach.  Sunset was fast approaching and the light was wonderful.  I found a composition that I liked, set up my tripod with the sun directly behind one of the trees, set my aperture to f22 then waited for the sun to peek around the trunk of the tree.  Once it did, I clicked the shutter and this photo was made.  When you shoot with a small aperture (f16 to f22 works the best) you can get a nice starburst effect like this when the sun first peeks out from behind something.  I thought it made for a wonderful complement to this "fern forest".  My only regret is that Jessica was not there to witness this beautiful scene along with me.  She was stuck at home working during the government shutdown.  It's going to be an awesome time when we are both able to go and explore this most amazing of state parks together!

No comments: