Sunday, October 13, 2013

Autumn Sunset over Bond Falls

















Here is another shot from Bond Falls, this time at sunset.  This was the second round of color that occurred in the clouds.  Everyone knows that as the sun sets, the clouds often light up in spectacular fashion with amazing colors.  Fewer people know that there is sometimes a second round of color that happens anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes after that initial round of color fades away.  That is what happened on this night.  I thought "the show" was over after the initial sunset was over, but then another round of clouds moved in.  

All too often I've been photographing in a location and seen other photographers pack up and leave as soon as the first round of color is over.  I like to stick around and see what happens.  Often times my favorite images are made AFTER sunset, when the light and color is more subtle.  As this cloud drifted over the top of the falls, it started to glow with a pinkish hue.  This glow only lasted 2 or 3 minutes, then it was gone.  From scouting out the falls earlier in the evening I knew that in order to get the sunset shot I wanted I would have to be standing in the water.  So, I had changed back at the car before sunset and was wearing my shorts and sandals so I could walk out into the water and get close to the base of the falls. I was standing in about 6 inches of water just 10 feet away from the base of the falls to make this photograph.  Sometimes you've got to get your feet wet to get the best shot :-)

No comments: