Saturday, October 5, 2013

Ancient Spirits

















It's so hard to pick a favorite, but I think this may be my favorite image from the aurora storm of October 1st and 2nd.  I chose to shoot the storm from a stand of old-growth pine trees here in Grand Portage.  Since this was my first time shooting at night in this particular stand of trees, I wasn't quite sure how it would work out.  It ended up being a terrific shoot!  I'll definitely be returning to this location for more night shooting in the future.  I loved this particular composition of trees, and it worked out beautifully with the dancing lights of the aurora directly behind the trees. Most of the time the northern lights are, you guessed it, in the northern part of the sky.  This photo, however, was looking southwest!

No comments: