Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sun Rays and Ice Clusters


























This morning's  awe-inspiring sunrise over Lake Superior.  This shot was much trickier to obtain than it may seem by looking at it.  The entire shoreline here was covered in ice, which necessitated the use of ice spikes on my boots just to even get anywhere close to the water's edge.  I had to sit/lay down in this groove in the ice and set up my tripod over my lap in order to get this angle on the scene.  Every now and then a wave would wash up in between these two clusters of ice and splash my butt.  Good thing I was wearing water-resistant snow pants!  I sat in this position on the ice for a good 10 minutes waiting for the sun to peek out from behind the clouds.  When it finally did, it was glorious.  Beautiful rays of light shone into the sky above the clouds, and by shooting with my lens aperture set at f22 I was able to obtain a nice starburst on the sun.  It was definitely worth the cold and uncomfortable seating position on the ice (and the wet butt!) to get this shot.  

No comments: