Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cave of Cubes

















Check out this recent photo I made of a small ice cave on the shores of Lake Superior filled with ice cubes from the lake.  I think it's pretty "cool".  It was a fun find and very difficult to photograph because the cave was so small.  It was only about two feet from the cave bottom to the cave top, and I had to literally lay on the ground and sort of slide down into the cave head first.  I then had to hold my camera up and shoot blindly since I was physically unable to look through the viewfinder due to the way I was laying in the cave.  It was also kind of difficult to extract myself from the cave since I was, after all, surrounded by ice.  Every surface in sight was extremely slippery and it was a challenge to push myself backwards uphill to get out of the cave.  Luckily my friend Roger was shooting with me that day and if I had gotten stuck I'm sure he would have helped me out :-)

No comments: