Thursday, February 21, 2013

Balanced Ice

















This was one heck of a beautiful piece of ice, and it sure was a lot of fun (and a challenge!) to photograph.  It was a challenge because it rested atop a 6 foot high pile of plate ice that at it's core was solid ice, but on the surface was not.  The surface was lined with loose plate ice anywhere from 1 to 3 inches thick.  I had to scramble to the top of this ice pile in order to get this photo with this perspective from my wide-angle lens.  It was kind of like trying to climb an extremely steep sand dune... for each step up I slid almost a complete step back down, except this wasn't soft sand.  It was cold, hard ice that with each step broke into a million pieces.  Eventually, though, I made it to the top of the mound and got up close and personal with this piece of ice.  The formation you see here was only about two feet across, and I was only about two feet away from it with my 17mm lens.  The way the sky was reflecting within the ice was awesome, to say the least.  I sure do love this time of year, it affords countless unique opportunities for photos!

No comments: