Saturday, March 26, 2016

Singing Cranes


























I think this was my favorite moment during our recent visit to Crex Meadows.  We were driving along the edge of Phantom Lake when we saw this pair standing on the road ahead of us.  We pulled over and watched them stand on the road for a few minutes and groom themselves.  Eventually they walked back down into the meadow on the opposite side of the road from the lake.  We slowly pulled ahead until we could see them again.  For some reason this pair was content to stay close by (more often than not, the cranes walk quite a ways away from the road when a vehicle stops... usually too far away to get any really nice pictures).  

We watched them for at least 10 minutes as they foraged in this area.  I was looking at them through my telephoto lens when all of a sudden both of them started calling at the same time.  I have no idea what it was that made them call, but it made for a great photo.  I really liked the way they were standing in relation to each other when this happened too.  If we're lucky, we'll return later in the season and maybe get to see their colt after it's hatched!

No comments: