Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 Gichigami Express Sled Dog Race

















Well, the 2nd running of the Gichigami Express Sled Dog Race is now complete.  The Express is a 3-day stage race, where the mushers and dog teams run a set course each day and then rest until the next day's stage.  Last year I only photographed the start of stage one and I had so much fun doing that I wished I had taken the time to photograph more of the race.  Well, this year I did just that!  I took two days off of work and Jessica and I followed along with the race and photographed it at various points.  Jessica also volunteered with dog handling and time keeping.  

We spent two long days working the race and had a blast doing so, despite the extreme cold temperatures (day one of the race was somewhat mild, but it was minus 24 degrees at the stage two start and minus 32 degrees at the stage three start!).  The cold took it's toll on us, as we have both been quite sick since the race ended, but we both feel it was worth it because we had so much fun and came away with some wonderful pictures of the race!  The photo you see here shows musher Ryan Redington from Knik, Alaska cruising past a beautiful view of Iron Lake along the Gunflint Trail.  This is one of my top 3 favorite images from the weekend and I feel really epitomizes the beauty of a dog race.  

To see the full complement of my photos from the race, click here: http://travisnovitsky.smugmug.com/Animals/Sled-Dogs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see your picture of my husband on his snowmobile with the Alaskan sled dogs coming across the lake! What a great shot!
Then I found your blog page and am enthralled with the way you've captured the dogs and the scenery! What a gift!
So, curious, which are your other 2 favorites from the event? =)