Saturday, December 19, 2009

Seal Rocks



Above: The trail from the parking area down to the beach at Seal Rocks.

I found another cool place today, known as Seal Rocks, or Seal Rock State Wayside. Unfortunately, even though I spent almost two full days in this area it rained almost the entire time and so I never was able to catch a spectacular sunrise or sunset at this location. However, I tried to make the best of it.



The image above was captured about a half hour after sunset, on a very foggy evening. I had to use a 25 second exposure in order to get enough light for the image to expose properly. The image below was captured the following morning at sunrise, but the clouds were so thick I never did see the sun. Even so, the clouds were quite ominous and I thought they still made for an interesting composition.



During low tide, there are tide pools in this area that can be explored. Below is a sign explaining what can be found in tide pools (you can click on the image to view a much larger version).



Although the picture below was not taken at Seal Rocks, I though it was fitting to include it with this journal entry. This image was taken near Heceta Head Lighthouse, further south from the Seal Rocks area. I pulled into a wayside along the highway and when I got out of the car I could hear all these Sea Lions barking. When I walked to the guard rail I looked down on the beach below, and it was covered with hundreds of Sea Lions! (You can click on this image as well to view a much larger version with more detail).

No comments: