Sunday, December 20, 2009

Historic Newport, Oregon



Above: The bridge over Yaquina Bay on a foggy evening.

Today I was in full "tourist mode" again. I figured since it was such a rainy day, I may as well spend some time in the town of Newport and explore the historic waterfront area. What a wonderful walk it turned out to be!



Many of the buildings in the historic waterfront area are adorned with murals portraying life on and/or in the sea. Most of the murals have incredible amounts of detail in them. I walked from one end of the historic waterfront to the other and back again, snapping pictures along the way.



Newport is also a well-known Coast Guard town, so two of the first murals that I saw portrayed a Coast Guard rescue helicopter and a rescue boat.



Below: The next one I saw showed a couple of fishing vessels in some choppy seas.





Next I saw several buildings that had whale murals on them. My favorites were the ones with the Orcas (Killer Whales) on them.





Below: Commercial fishing boats in Newport Harbor



Below: The bridge over Yaquina Bay.

No comments: