Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Palouse Falls



Today I visited Palouse Falls State Park, which is in the southeast corner of Washington state. I find myself drawn to water, whether its a lake, river, ocean or a waterfall. I had heard of Palouse Falls before starting this trip, so naturally I wanted to see it for myself. Its a pretty small state park, but has nice views of the river gorge and the waterfall. Its also definitely the "off season" for visiting the park, as I was there for a couple of hours and had the park entirely to myself the whole time.



Although its somewhat difficult from the photos to tell just how big this waterfall is, at almost 200 feet tall it is quite a bit taller than Minnesota's highest waterfall, which is High Falls at Grand Portage State Park (120 feet tall). The size is also deceiving because the falls is down at the bottom of what is a rather deep gorge.





I found the view of the canyon looking downstream to be just as impressive as the view of the falls. In fact, it sort of reminded me of the Grand Canyon, except with grass. The shapes of the canyon walls are reminiscent of the shapes of some areas of the Grand Canyon. If you ever find yourself in southeast Washington, Palouse Falls is definitely worth a visit.

No comments: