Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Olympic Mountains



Another fascinating area of Olympic National Park is the mountains... perhaps best represented by Hurricane Ridge, which is so named because of the high winds that are common there. I thought that my visit to the ridge wasn't going to be very interesting, as when I left the nearby town of Port Angeles, the sky was covered with clouds from one horizon to the next. As I drove up the road to the ridge and got closer and closer to the summit, however, the clouds got thinner and soon I was above the clouds! Along the last two miles of the road the sky was clear, blue and sunny. When I got to the top there was a LOT of snow, and absolutely NO wind! It was quite a treat to visit the summit on such a clear, calm day.





I only had a little time to spend at the summit, as I was planning on catching the 4:00 ferry to British Columbia. So, after snapping a few pictures it was time to head back down. Not long after I started back down the road I was again below the clouds, and returned to the world of gray skies.





Above: The snowbanks here were even higher than they were at Mt. Rainier!



Above and below: With an annual snowfall of around 400 inches, it takes some serious heavy-duty equipment to keep the road open. Pictured above is a road grader with a large v-plow blade attached to the front. Pictured below is one of the specialty snowblowers that they use to help keep the road open.

No comments: