Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sandhill Cranes on the Platte River




Well, I spent a full day and a half photographing the cranes. I was in Nebraska in mid-March last year, and hit the migration during its peak, when there were about 500,000 cranes in the area. There were a lot fewer birds this year, since I'm a couple of weeks later than I was last year, but the numbers were still impressive. I just got in from a guided tour to one of the photo blinds at the Rowe Sanctuary (www.rowesanctuary.org). The guided tours at the sanctuary never disappoint. If you ever come to Nebraska looking for cranes, your first stop should be the Rowe Sanctuary. Sign up for a sunrise or sunset tour to one of the photo blinds, then ask one of the staff where the best places are during the day to look for cranes. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.







Aside from the cranes, I saw and heard a lot of red-winged blackbirds as well. They are one of my favorite birds, and each year I eagerly await their return, and long to hear once again their beautiful call. If you do go to Nebraska in March or early April, the best places to look for cranes are anywhere along the Platte River between Grand Island and Kearney. There are numerous farm and county roads that you can drive to look for the birds. But, like I said, you MUST take a tour at the sanctuary! You will be closer to the birds there than anywhere else. The sight and sound of these ancient birds flying in to the river is something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. In addition to photos, I shot a few video clips of the birds, which you can see on my website:


Well, that's it for today... I need to get some rest for the drive to Colorado tomorrow. Next up: Colorado National Monument!











2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your kind words about Rowe Sanctuary. We the staff and our wonderful, dedicated crew of volunteers work hard to make sure people like you have the best possible experience. Again..Thank You. Hope to see you again next year!

Travis Novitsky said...

No problem... thanks for all that you guys do at the sanctuary! A friend and I will be back this coming spring... we are hoping to reserve one of the overnight blinds, as well as take in one or two morning and evening group tours!